Objective: This assignment aims to develop your skills in critically analyzing research articles, summarizing key information, identifying relevant quotes, and correctly formatting a works cited page.
Step 1: Select a Research Article
Choose a research article related to a topic your understanding of the literary works and critical concepts covered in this course. You will choose either “The Things They Carried” by Tim O’Brien, “The Great Gatsby” by F. Scott Fitzgerald, or both as your primary texts for your analysis. Ensure that the article is from a reputable academic source, such as a scholarly journal. Make sure to provide the full citation of the chosen article.
Step 2. A.: Develop a Clear and Strong Thesis Statement
Before summarizing the article, formulate a clear and strong thesis statement. Your thesis should express your main argument or position related to your research paper topic. It should be specific, debatable, and focused.
Step 2.B.: Summarize the Article
Write a concise summary of the research article. Your summary should include:
- The article’s main research question or objective.
- A brief overview of the methodology used in the research.
- The key findings or results of the study.
- Any important insights, arguments, or conclusions presented in the article.
Keep your summary clear and organized, focusing on the most significant points.
Step 3: Identify Key Quotes
Identify and select at least three key quotes from the research article that you plan to use in your future essay or analysis. These quotes should support your analysis or arguments related to the article’s topic.
For each quote, provide:
- The exact quote from the article.
- An explanation of why this quote is significant and how it contributes to your understanding or argument.
- Page number(s) where the quote can be found in the article.
Step 4: Works Cited Page
Create a correctly formatted works cited page for the research article you selected. Follow the appropriate citation style (e.g., MLA, APA) as specified by your instructor.
Your works cited page should include:
- The full citation for the research article, including the author’s name, title of the article, source (journal name or book title), publication date, page numbers, and any other required elements according to the chosen citation style.
Compile your assignment into a single document (Word format).
Ensure that the document is clearly labeled with your name, the course name and number, the assignment title, and the date.